Friday, August 19, 2011

More reference


Yes, you can never have too much reference material. It is important for any artist to know the anatomy of the subject they are working on.

Unlike a human subject I can't say to a "panther," strike this pose for me, then take pictures from all sides. Instead, I rely on my years of artistic experience and a tremendous amount of reference.

Once the foam armature comes to the studio, I'll be studying it to see what needs to be shaved, carved, lengthened or turned, before I begin to add clay and personality to the piece.

For anyone interested in the anatomy of animals I would highly suggest the book Anatomy of Animals By Ernest Thompson. It was originally published in 1896 but you can get copies of it.

Another fine book is Eduard Lanteri Modelling and Sculpting Animals.




No comments:

Post a Comment