Friday, August 19, 2011

More Research at the Zoo


Photographic reference is taken of the cats at the Houston Zoo.

My photographer of choice for any project is Christina Diliberto at Diliberto Photo and Design.

Be sure to check out her blog post on the project to see some of her amazing photographs of the cats.

We entered the zoo as early as possible in hopes of catching the cats in action before it got too hot. The keepers did everything they could for us, letting the cats out a little at a time and entertaining them to help us to get good reference photographs. The day time temperatures here in Houston have been in the 100's, making any cat feel a bit lethargic, so coming early was necessary.



We spent time talking with the keepers. Chris took many photographs. While I paid close attention to the details, anatomy and differences in the cast, all the while picking the brains of the carnivore keepers. I think we have about 500 photographs, and a wealth of information that can be used as reference.

Though we are working on a "panther" we spent time taking pictures of all of the cats and not just the black leopard. The anatomy is not that different from cat to cat, and the keepers and I spent a great deal of time in comparisons and discussion. I'll go into more detail about the term "panther" but first let me share with you some shots from the zoo. Of course, I agree with Christina's choice, but here are a few more I like.




For me it is in the detail. "take pictures of the bottom of the feet." Chris has worked with me long enough to know what I want. I hardly have to say anything.

I like this last picture because it seems to be so symbolic of life. Sometimes you just have to find your footing! Chris said she was sorry she couldn't zoom in and focus quick enough. I still love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment